Latest Business Support news from East Riding of Yorkshire Council - 22/8/23
Filing your Self-Assessment return early
HMRC are promoting the benefits of filing your tax return early. These are:
- Planning: finding out what you owe for the 2022 to 2023 tax year as soon as you have filed, which allows for more accurate financial planning.
- Budgeting: spreading the cost of your tax bill with weekly or monthly payments using HMRC’s Budget Payment Plan.
- Refund: checking if you’re due a refund in the HMRC app once you’ve filed.
- Help: accessing a range of online guidance and information to help you file your return and getting help if you are unable to pay your bill in full by the 31 January deadline.
The Self-Assessment deadline for the 2022 to 2023 tax year is 31 January 2024.
New UK Business Climate Hub
The SME Climate Hub is a global initiative that aims to mainstream climate action in the small to medium sized business community and enable SMEs to build resilient businesses for the future. It has developed free, practical resources specifically tailored to support SMEs on their net zero journey, to find out more visit:
Topic of the Week
Dealing with Negative Online Business Reviews
No matter what type of business you are customer opinions count, whether they are satisfied or dissatisfied with your product or service, how you respond is key. So how do you turn a negative review into a positive action?
Look for commonalities.
- When you are reading through reviews, start by looking for any themes or repeated complaints.
- Once you’ve identified the patterns, figure out what product or service is causing the potential issue.
- On identifying what needs improvement, brainstorm solutions and weigh up the outcomes.
- Respond to complaints in a professional manner.
- If customers go to the trouble of submitting a review or make contact through social media, they expect an answer fast
- Don’t let anger and frustration take over. If needed, apologise for their experience, and explain how this is unusual within your business.
- People like to see that you care about their opinions
- Responding is one thing, adjusting your business is another
- If you’ve noticed significant patterns in customer feedback, you need to take actions
- Negative reviews can have an influence over potential customers but does not mean the end for your business.
- However, failing to take appropriate action probably will.
Most businesses are likely to receive a negative review sooner or later, so review, respond, learn from mistakes and make your business even better, but never ignore a negative comment.
‘Cyber-security really means’; Save The Date
17th October 2023 at ergo, Hessle
Do you fully understand how to keep your business secure from online crime?
Do you know how to protect yourself from common threats?
Then save the date now, for an accessible and practical event to explore what ‘Cyber Security’ really means.
Delivered by the North East Business Resilience Centre, this half day event will give you the knowledge you need to understand the threats your business faces and to work towards your company finances and data being secure.
More information coming soon.
East Riding Apprenticeship Event, Wednesday 22nd November 2023, Bishop Burton College
Do you have apprenticeship opportunities then book a free stand now.
Aimed specifically at Year 11, 12 and 13 pupils who are looking at apprenticeships as their next step, around 500 young people are expected to attend to specifically connect with your organisation and prepare for their applications.
To register your interest in taking a stand or if you have any questions, contact the Education and Skills Partnership Team at email@example.com. as soon as possible as places are limited, applications close on 5th September. A full itinerary and briefing pack will be sent out at a later date.